2/25/12 – Amazing Slow-Cooker Pork Tenderloin
- 1 (2 pound) pork tenderloin
- 1 cup low sodium beef broth, no sugar added
- 1/2 cup white wine (or apple juice, no added sugar)
- 3 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 8 teaspoons dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- pepper to taste
- Place pork tenderloin in the slow cooker with herbs and spices.
- Pour broth, wine, and soy sauce over the top, turning the pork to coat.
- Carefully spread garlic over the pork, leaving as much on top of the roast during cooking as possible.
- Sprinkle with pepper, cover, and cook on low setting for 4 hours.
- Serve with cooking liquid on the side as au jus. Serves 8.
2/9/12 – Homemade Slow-Cooker Chicken Broth
Here’s an easy recipe for chicken stock. You can also use giblets, leftover chicken bones, wing tips or chicken backs.
- 3 chicken breast halves
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 tomato, quartered
- 1 cup carrots
- 2 celery stalks
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- fresh herbs like cilantro or parsley (I used cilantro)
- whole peppercorns
- kosher salt
Place all ingredients into crock pot and fill with water. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
When it’s done, throw out all the vegetables, strain the liquid and remove the chicken for other recipes, like chicken salad, or anything that calls for shredded chicken.
If you’re not using the stock right away you can store it in containers and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for several months. When the stock is chilled, the fat will rise to the top and harden and you can easily remove it.
To make this on the stove, place all ingredients in a large pot, cover and simmer low for several hours.
1/18/12 – Slow Cooker Marinara Chicken and Vegetables
Yield; 8 Servings
Serve with a side salad or over whole wheat pasta or brown rice.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 4 tomatoes, chopped or one 14.5-ounce can low-sodium tomatoes, drained
- 4 medium ribs celery, diced (1 cup)
- 2 small zucchini, diced (2 cups)
- 1 bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- One 18-ounce jar low-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
1. Place the chicken in the slow cooker; add the garlic, tomatoes, celery, zucchini, and pepper. Pour the marinara sauce over all, and sprinkle the basil and thyme on top.
2. Set the slow cooker on low and cook for 6 to 7 hours. Before serving, shred the chicken with a fork.
Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 164.2
- Total Fat: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 65.7 mg
- Sodium: 142.4 mg
- Total Carbs: 7.9 g
- Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
- Protein: 27.3 g
1/5/12 – Crockpot Balsamic Chicken
- 4-6 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
- 2 -14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion thinly sliced (not chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. each: dried oregano, basil, and rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- Ground black pepper and salt to taste
- Pour the olive oil in the bottom of crock pot.
- Place in the chicken breasts. Salt and pepper each breast.
- Add sliced onion on top of the chicken. Cover with dried herbs and garlic cloves
- Pour in vinegar and top with tomatoes.
- Cook on high 4 hours.
- Serve and enjoy!
1/4/12 – Crockpot Shredded Chicken
Yield: 4 Servings
- 1 lb. lean organic chicken breasts
- 1 jar organic salsa
- 1 15 oz. can organic black beans
1. Combine all ingredients in the crockpot. Cook on low for 8 hours.
2. To shred the chicken, take two forks and pull chicken apart.
3. Serve over a salad, or in a whole wheat tortilla with tomatoes, lettuce, etc.