Balsamic Grilled Vegetables with Basil Quinoa Salad
serves about 3. (you will have as much grilled vegetables as quinoa).
for balsamic dressing
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- salt and pepper
for grilled vegetables
- 1 small italian eggplant (about 2 cups when cut into big cubes)
- 1 small zucchini (about 2 cups when cut into big cubes)
- 1/2 small red onion (1/4 of a large red onion)
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves stripped
for basil quinoa salad
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup basil leaves loosely packed, chopped
other ingredients (optional)
1/2 cup pearlini mozzarella balls, or bocconcini mozzarella balls, tossed in a little salt and pepper
(substitute with pan fried tofu or toasted pine nuts or walnuts for a vegan dish)
- Whisk together all the balsamic dressing ingredients and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, boil water for the quinoa salad. Add quinoa and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer covered, till all the water has been completely absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- While quinoa is cooking, cut the eggplant and zucchini into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Cut the red onion into rings. Place cubed eggplant, zucchini, red onion, tomatoes and thyme leaves in a bowl. Pour half the balsamic dressing over the vegetables and toss well.
- Brush grill grates with olive oil or non-stick spray (I used a stove top cast iron grill). Heat grill to medium-high. Grill the vegetables about 3 minutes on one side or till grill marks appear, about 3 minutes. Flip them over and grill other side till vegetables are tender but still a bit firm. Tomatoes will cook quicker, remove them from the grill as soon as they start to blister.
- Reserve the balsamic dressing that remains in the bowl, to serve with the meal.
- If you dont have a grill, broil the vegetables in the top rack of an oven, till one side is golden. Flip and broil other side.
- When the quinoa finishes cooking, toss it with the second half of the balsamic dressing. Stir in chopped basil, salt and pepper.
- Spread quinoa on a platter or bowl. Arrange the grilled summer vegetables and mozzarella around the quinoa. Serve warm with the reserved balsamic dressing on the side.
Recipe reprinted from: http://www.veggiebelly.com/2010/07/balsamic-grilled-summer-vegetables-with-basil-quinoa-salad.html